Tuesday 15 October 2013

Tips on Taking Better Pictures


Now that you have crocheted those beautiful things, the  first things you wanted to to do most likely is taking its picture either to share on Facebook or to publish it to your Flickr album etc. You want to see the colors of your item showing in the picture as close as possible to its true color. Of course you can edit  the photo and manipulate it later, but nothing is better than having a great photo on the first place. Most professional photographers edit their photos only very slightly just to correct the shadows and the highlights. The diagram above shows how you can light up the shadow area of your subject by using a reflector which you can make yourself.

To get better pictures of your crochet items:

- Take photo during daylight under the shade either morning (9-10 am) of late afternoon. I mostly take my pictures at around 4 - 5 pm utilizing the light coming from my window.

- use reflector as above. To make one, cut a cardboard paper about 60 x 40 inches, cover it with aluminum foil (crush the foil and gently flatten it before wrapping it into the cardboard).

- use a clean white art paper to place your item.

- remove anything else which are not part of the subject of your photo.

Whether you are using a sophisticate camera or a mobile phone camera, the above tips will help making your photos look more appealing.

More tips to come, so please come again.


This kuffah was  taken solely with the light source coming from the window. Look at the soft shadow on the left and the clearer view of the stitches which would have been too dark without the use of reflector.

I do not have a sophisticated studio like a pro has. My "studio" is a corner of my son's room which I temporarily occupy while he is in the college. I am grateful to my husband who support me and giving me access to a Canon 5DMarkII. Saying that, under the right light, my iPhone takes better pictures sometimes. Here is the set up of my photo shoot looks like. No matter what kind of camera I am using I always try to use a tripod or  a pile of books, a beanie bag, anything to keep your camera steady. Camera shake will caused your photos blurry.


No comments:

Post a Comment